Title: Nitrogenase, hydrogen and bacterial longevity
Speaker: Prof. Caroline S. Harwood, the member of National Academy of Sciences, USA
Time: 9:00 a.m. -10:00 a.m., Tuesday, October 8, 2019
Location：Lecture Hall of JinlingResearch Institute (3rd floor)
Host：College of Life Sciences, NAU
Caroline S. Harwood, Gerald and Lyn Grinstein Endowed Professor in Microbiology, Universityof Washington. She is an elected member of National Academy of Sciences of United States of America (2009), member of National Academy of Sciences Council (2018), fellow of American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) (2008), and fellow of American Academy of Microbiology (2000). She has served as Editors of ASM journals, such as Appl. Environ. Microbiol.(1991-1996) and J. Bacteriol. (1993-1996). She also has been Chairs of Committee on Elections of the American Academy of Microbiology (2011-2015) and ASM Press Committee (2009-2016). Now she is Editors of PNAS (2017-) and mBio (2013-).
Porf. Caroline S. Harwood is an expert in Microbial Physiology and Microbial Application. She hasbeen engaged for more than 40 years in the fields of quorum sensing, photosynthesis, biological nitrogen fixation, bioenergy, microbial degradation of pollutants, etc. More than 120 papers have been published in Science, Nature, NatureBiotechnology, NatureMicrobiology, PNAS, mBio, NucleicAcidsResearch, Curr. OpinioninMicrobiol., Mol. Microbiol., Environ. Microbiol., J. Bacteriol., Appl. Environ. Microbiol.etc.
1. Schaefer AL, Greenberg EP, Oliver CM, Oda Y, Huang JJ, Bittan-Banin G, Peres CM, Schmidt S, Juhaszova K, Sufrin JR and Harwood CS. 2008. A new class of homoserine lactone quorum-sensing signals. Nature 454:595-599.
2. Zheng YN, Harris DF, Yu Z, Fu Y, Poudel S, Ledbetter RN, Fixen KR, Yang Z-Y, Boyd ES, Lidstrom ME, Seefeldt LC and Harwood CS. 2018. A pathway for biological methane production using bacterial iron-only nitrogenase. Nature Microbiology. 3(3):281-286.
3. Larimer FW, Chain P, Lamerdin J, Stilwagen M, Do L, Land M, Hauser L, Pelletier DA, Beatty JT, Lang AS, Tabita FR, Gibson JL, Hanson TE, Bobst C, Torres J, Peres C, Harrison F, Gibson J and Harwood CS. 2004. The genome sequence of the metabolically versatile photosynthetic bacterium Rhodopseudomonas palustris. Nature Biotechnol. 22:55-61.
4. Harwood CS and Greenberg EP. 1999. Mega Roles for Microorganisms. Science 286:1096.
5. Fixen KR, Zheng Y, Harris DF, Shaw S, Yang ZY, Dean DR, Seefeldt LC and Harwood CS. 2016. Light-driven carbon dioxide reduction to methane by nitrogenase in a photosynthetic bacterium. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 113:10163-7.
Contact: Jiandong Jiang, Tel: 86-25-84399726
You are Welcome!